Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Helping Others- What's In It For You!

Most people think that to be successful you need to climb up over everyone's dead bodies to reach that unscalable peak. All the while thinking, "It's lonely at the top but I'm the one that'll make it!" That old saying, "Only the tough survive," is a myth, and I'll tell you why! It's all about what Bob Buford calls, "The selfishness of altruism," in his book called "Halftime."

#1. Nobody ever succeeds alone. Everyone needs someone else. No one is an island, and no one has ever succeeded without support from others. If someone tells you that, it's a lie! Don't believe it. We all need someone to help us at one time or another.

#2. I am a firm believer in the idea that thoughts are things. What you put in your mind will usually come to pass. The reason is simple. Obsess about anything long enough,and you will usually end up acting on it. Just ask any serial killer! LOL!

It is the old,garbage in garbage out theory. But it also works this way: Good things in, good things come out! People are drawn to positive people. They look up to them.

Do you want to be a leader in your field? Start adding less garbage, and more positive fuel. Read success books, learn about the accomplishments, of others, and how they did it. Practice it in your daily life and you will see results!

#3. Start to build a network of mutual support. This can make or break you in most businesses. Referral by word of mouth is invaluable. You want to build a good reputation in any business. Go the extra mile, it won't kill you, and your business will gain loyal customers who are also friends!

Caring about others, and supporting them in their endeavors, is never a losing proposition. You will always get it back with interest. If not directly from that person, then from another.

You may receive invaluable help in totally unexpected ways. Here's an example from my life:

When I was started out learning about glass, I lived in Mexico. I needed a teacher, so I asked all the glass artists down here to teach me. "No, I won't sell in Mexico, so I will never compete with you. I am an American, and can't even work in Mexico," I would assure them. Still, no one wanted to teach me.

Finally one glass blower liked me, and he said, "Look, I will teach you for free." He had 25 years experience to my 6 months. What could I offer in return?

Well, we started trading information, and I started learning. It came about that I had learned information in the states that was not yet in Mexico. I had bought some oxgen concentrators so that I wouldn't use so much oxygen. He was spending lots of money on oxygen, which he could cut considerably using the concentrators. He couldn't buy them because he didn't have a credit card. So, I bought them for him.

Now, he is the ony one down here with oxygen concentrators! No one else knows about them. He always said to me "because I was the one that helped you, I won out!" I feel this is a universal truth. Don't be afraid to help others on their climb to success, they may drag you up there with them!

"We must be doing what we want the world to be."
--- Mohandas Gandhi

Author: Cindy Oliver
Copyright, 2005

Cindy is the owner of http://www.GlassAffinity.com She make handmade glass beads, and aromatherapy vessels. She lives in Mexico, and volunteered in ministry for three years. She helped start a Mexican Corporation for this ministry, which serves the Oaxacan Indians.She is now a stay at home mom, and has homeschooled her 9 year old son for the last 2 1/2 years. In her previous life she worked as an R.N. in Cardiology for 13 years.


"Assisting People To Success - One Heart At A Time!" (SM)

Lou Everett, Sr., NWMC

NOTE: If you would like a FREE coaching session, please send me an e-mail at: LouEverettSr@yahoo.com, with the word "Coaching" in the Subject, and your full name and phone number in the Body. Thanks!

Copyright 2005 by Lou Everett, Sr. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment